The Aging Process
With age, our hormone levels naturally begin to decrease, a significant factor in the aging process. The human body does not function at an optimal level without adequate hormone balance. At some point, in the lives of both men and women, the endocrine glands fail to maintain adequate hormone levels, and the older we get, the more depleted our hormones become. It is at this point that replacing those hormones becomes desirable and leads to a happier, healthier life. The key to safe and effective hormone replacement therapy is to use bio-identical hormones and to administer them in as physiologic a manner as possible. The body cannot metabolize non bio-identical hormones in a normal manner; therefore, they persist in the body and exert an abnormal effect which can lead to medical problems.
What are Bio-Identical Hormones?
Bio-identical simply means that the hormone is exactly the same molecule as that which is naturally made by your body. This is important because your body recognizes it as such and can metabolize it normally. The term “bio-identical” does not indicate the source of the hormone, but rather indicates that the molecular structure of the replacement hormone is identical to that of the hormone naturally found in the human body. Bio-identical hormones are made by processing of hormone precursors found in plant sources, usually soy and yams.
When is the right time for Hormone Replacement Therapy?
When one becomes deficient in any hormone, it is optimal to replace it. A lack of estrogen doesn’t usually occur until shortly before or at age 51, the average age of menopause.1 Replacing all three hormones after the menopause is usually necessary for optimal hormone balance.
Benefits of Estrogen Replacement in Women
- Relief of vasomotor symptoms (hot flashes)
- Reduced risk of osteoporosis
- Reduced risk of coronary artery disease
- Reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Reduced risk of colon cancer
- Relief of vaginal dryness and thinning
- Reduced risk of arthritis
- Life expectancy an average of 3 years longer
Benefits of Progesterone Replacement in Women
- Counteracts estrogen dominance
- Minimizes risk of endometrial cancer in women who are receiving estrogen
- May reduce risk of breast cancer
Benefits of Testosterone Replacement in Women
- Enhanced libido
- Cardiovascular protection
- Increased energy and vitality
- Enhanced feeling of well-being
- Reduced body fat
- Stronger muscles and bones
- Relief of depression
- Cognitive clarity
Individual results may vary
1National Institute on Aging. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2015. Web. 9 February. 2016. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/menopause.